Patient Financial Counselor
- Job Location
- US-FL-Vero Beach
- Regular Full-Time
- Work Days
- Monday - Friday
- Work Hours
- 9:00am - 5:00pm
The VNA provides compassionate, innovative care of the highest quality, setting the standard for patients and caregivers needing private care, home health, hospice, and community health services. Together, we provide the highest quality patient care.
Come Join our team of passionate and skilled professionals! By choosing to work for the VNA, you would be working with an agency that has been voted ‘Best Place to Work’ for 7 years in Indian River County because of the benefits we offer our associates, such as:
- Competitive pay
- Flexible schedules available for some positions
- 18 paid days off to start, 6 paid holidays
- up to 90% coverage of health insurance costs
- Onsite, no-cost wellness clinic staffed by a VNA ARNP
- Tuition reimbursement
- Free CEU credits
- Several local and national discounts
The VNA is seeking a Patient Financial Counselor. The primary responsibilities for this position are to verify insurance benefits and obtain authorization for services. Documents information in billing/clinical system for clinicians to inform patients. Responsible for introducing a Needs Assessment to patient/representatives for approval for Charity Care/Patient Assistance and prepares Medicare Secondary Payor documentation. Integrate and demonstrate Core Values in all aspects of duties and responsibilities.
- Obtains, monitor, and updates patients' insurance information to ensure accurate billing and timely collection of accounts receivable. Documents insurance coverage including co pays in billing/clinical system, maintaining accurate payer source file for all patients in conjunction with accounts receivable and billing. Verifies Medicare numbers by reviewing electronic eligibility for alerts. Scans/uploads/organizes patient referral documentation into the billing/clinical system.
- Interacts on a daily basis with all Patient Care Managers, Medical Records Department and Referral Center regarding obtaining, updating, and documenting patient information relating to insurance coverage and authorizations. Brings forward issues for timely resolution.
- Obtains pre-authorization of insurance coverage(s) on line and via telephone, documenting outcomes in the billing/clinical system. Works in conjunction with scheduling staff to ensure authorizations are obtained in a timely and complete manner. Submits accurate documentation to payer source as required in conjunction with appropriate clinical supervisor for services authorization. Reviews patient intake information for Medicare secondary payer identification, completing Medicare secondary payor information as appropriate.
- Contacts eligible patients (in accordance with organizational policy) with no insurance coverage to assist them in the completion of the Needs Assessment Application for Charity Care or Indigent Care. Work with Social Workers/Case Managers to assist in completion of needs assessment where appropriate. Forwards all related documentation to Patient Account Manager for approval. Communicates with patients/representatives (and Social Workers/Case Managers where appropriate) to inform them of the status of their applications and/or the need for additional information for eligible patients.
- Prepare and/or assist with special reports or projects as requested by management.
- Recommends changes to Policies and Procedures relative to Charity Care qualification and processing. Provides input into departmental procedure manual including documentation of workflow and recommended updates.
Associates degree (A A), or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school desired. At least one year related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be familiar with medical terminology.